Everyone knows the basic rules of the road — red means stop, don’t pass on the right, yield to pedestrians in cross walks, no drinking and driving, etc. But, we thought we’d take a minute to share some of the most wacky and bizarre traffic laws we’ve ever seen.
- In Kansas, a peel-out may result in a bail-out, as the state has outlawed tire squealing, spin outs, or any other act that “simulates a temporary race.”
- If you sleep in the streets of Eureka, California, you might wake up in a jail cell. The city prohibits public sleeping, if that law wasn’t clear enough they specifically added ‘street’ to the list of places where sleeping would not be tolerated.
- In Alabama and the European country of Luxembourg, you must have windshield wipers on your car, but a windshield is optional.
- In California, it’s against the law to shoot at wild game from a moving vehicle, unless you are whale hunting.
- Here’s a weird one, in Arkansas it’s illegal to honk your horn after 9 pm in areas where cold beverages and sandwiches are served.
- In Florida, the law states that if an elephant is left tied to a parking meter, the parking fee has to be paid just as it would for a vehicle.
- You may be surprised to discover that the “Keep it clean” law in Rockville, Maryland isn’t talking about litter, instead it’s intended to clean up dirty mouths. It’s illegal to swear in earshot of other people in public. Yes, that even includes when you’re driving or riding in a car.
- Before turning the ignition in Denmark, drivers are required to check the lights, brakes, steering, horn and make sure there are no children under the car.
- And finally, in San Francisco, Calif., it is illegal to wipe or wash a car with used underwear.